Sad truth: My insight on Filipino Ash Wednesday

Man marked with a cross made of ash on Ash Wednesday
The purpose of Ash Wednesday is to repent, as like what Gospels in the New Testament about Jesus Christ who endured 40 days into the desert tempted by Satan.

As a Catholic that studies in a Catholic School, there is a sad truth in this event. Not all who participated in the Ash Wednesday (those who are marked) are just up for the trend.

The social media age has given way for those people who participates on Ash Wednesday just to be a trend and take selfies of it to show that they are marked, but the reality is, they do not obey the rules of fasting.

Most of them do not fast, and some disobey the rules of not eating meat. I did not participate the Ash Wednesday because for me, it is a disgrace and insult to the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, because I myself is honest that I cannot obey the rules of fasting.

Participating in the Ash Wednesday should be voluntary, because if you force people to participate, there's no guarantee that all people goes with the rules in order to repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment