How the Philippine System of Education Killed Young Dreamers

Education kills creativity
A student in Makati committed suicide after his British-national teacher scolded and embarrassed him in front of the class. Now, a freshman Respiratory Therapy student from Tuguegerao committed suicide because she was unable to pay for her midterm tuition fee and thus failed to take the exam.

These young dreamers did not kill themselves, it is the system that killed them. They have high hopes and confidence that education will bring them into a secured future. Because of this belief which the society has fed up to them, when they have failed to pay for tuition or being humiliated in class, it is likely the end of life for them.

I take this from experience, although I did not try to commit suicide. I learned English not in school but in the internet, it is the online games that taught me how to write English better than my classmates when I was in college. To be honest, I did not learn anything in school, education frustrates me but learning doesn't. I hunger for learning, as I see today, Education is far different from learning.

We should be aware that most world billionaires are college dropouts or have not taken education at all. Mark Zuckerberg, Henry Sy, an even Manny Pacquiao, what did they all had in common? They were hardworking people, and hardworking is not taught at school.

Some countries outside the Philippines have cheaper or even free education. If the society believes that education is the 'key' to the future, they should invest more money for it than infrastructures and wars.

They have added a new system called K to 12 but for me its useless. Lengthening the time of education is nothing if the teachers don't even teach their students of what should be taught. I don't generalize all the teachers, since I've known some teachers who really teach their students well.

Quality over Quantity, it is a simple quote but has a very good impact for me. These young dreamers deserved to have a free education because they're the ones hunger for it, and yet they are the ones being deprived of it. The system of education sucks, where is learning? Before, you may die because your knowledge but at least it was free. If learning has a price before, there would be no Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Greek Philosophers, Newton and etc. Think again! Education kills, so better reach out for learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment